Quick Facts of Joanna Bourke
- Full NameJoanna Bourke
- BirthplaceBlenheim, New Zealand
- Eye colourblue
- Hair colourblonde
- EducationUniversity of Auckland
Professor Joanna Bourke is a world-renowned historian. She helped to shape profoundly our understanding of subjects—violence, the body, the emotions—central to human experience. Bourke is Professor in the Department Of History, Classic and Archaeology at Birkbeck College where she taught since 1992. She is also a Fellow of the British Academy.
Bourke has published prolifically on British, Irish, American and Australian societies from the nineteenth to twenty-first centuries. She has included histories of rape, fear, face-to-face killing and other vital, and previously taboo, topics.
Let’s discover about Joanna Bourke’s bio, wiki, net worth and many more.
Joanna Bourke Bio & Wiki
Joanna is born in 1963, Blenheim, in the Malborough province of New Zealand. 55 years old professor describes herself as “socialist feminist.” Burke attended the University of Auckland gaining a BA and Masters in History. As a child, she lived in Zambia and Solomon Island, before her parents and four siblings moved to Haiti.
Even though she returned to New Zealand regularly, much of her education was conducted via correspondence school. From Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra, she completed a doctorate on women in nineteenth-century Ireland.
After brief posts in the 1980s and early 1990s at the Australian National University and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, she was appointed to Birkbeck College in 1992 where she works as Professor of History in Department of History, classic and Archaeology at Birkbeck College of London.
Also read: Frank Somerville Wife, Family, Daughter, House, Bio & Net Worth
Talking about her physical features, Bourke has quite fascinating height. She also has a really attractive facial feature with blue eyes and blonde hair. No information regarding her height and weight is out yet.
Joanna Bourke’s Career and Award
Joanna has published a number of books:
- Working-Class Cultures in Britain, 1890–1960: Gender, Class and Ethnicity, Routledge, in 1994.
- Dismembering the Male: Men’s Bodies, Britain and the Great War, Reaktion Press and University of Chicago Press, in 1996.
- An Intimate History of Killing: Face-to-Face Killing in Twentieth-Century Warfare, Granta, in 1999.
- An eyewitness, Authentic Voices of the 20th Century, BBC Audiobooks, in 2004.
- Fear: A Cultural History, Virago, in 2006.
- Rape: A History from the 1860s to the Present, Virago, 2007 (published in the US as Rape: Sex, Violence, History, Shoemaker & Hoard) in 2007
- What It Means To Be Human. Historical Reflections 1790 to the Present, Virago, in 2011.
- The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers, in 2014.
- Wounding the World: How Military Violence and War-Play Invade our Lives, Virago, 2014 (published in the US as Deep Violence: Military Violence, War Play, and the Social Life of Weapons, Counterpoint) in 2015.
- War and Art: A Visual History of Modern Conflict.
During 1993 Bourke won Ronald Tress Prize. In the same way, she also won Fraenkel Prize in Contemporary History in 1998. Additionally, she won the Wolfson History Prize in 2000. Last but not least she has won Fellow of the British Academy Award in 2014.
Joanna Bourke’s Net Worth
Bourke’s books on Amazon worths:
- The Story of Pain =$10.94
- Fear a Cultural History =$18.95
- What it Meant to be Human =$12.49
- Rape a history from 1860 to the present =$15.51
Also see: Kyla Kenedy Bio, Height, Age, Net Worth & Parents
Bourke hasn’t disclosed her salary and Net Worth yet but seeing her published book we can safely say that she earns $thousands.